Our consortium members maintain several active collaborations which result in research output, publications included. This page showcases those publications.
Nnodu Group selected publications
- Nnodu et al, HemoTypeSC, a low-cost point-of-care testing device for sickle cell disease: Promises and challenges, Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2019 Feb 8, doi: 10.1016/j.bcmd.2019.01.007
Wonkam Group selected publications
- Inusa B, Popoola J, Wonkam A. Sickle Cell Disease. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jul 20;377(3):302-303.
- Wonkam A, Mnika K, Ngo Bitoungui VJ, Chetcha Chemegni B, Chimusa ER, Dandara C, Kengne AP. Clinical and genetic factors are associated with pain and hospitalisation rates in sickle cell anaemia in Cameroon. Br J Haematol. 2018 Jan;180(1):134-146.
- Geard A, Pule GD, Chetcha Chemegni B, Ngo Bitoungui VJ, Kengne AP, Chimusa ER, Wonkam A. Clinical and genetic predictors of renal dysfunctions in sickle cell anaemia in Cameroon. Br J Haematol. 2017 Aug;178(4):629-639.
- Wonkam A. Is there a role for pharmacogenetics in the treatment of sickle cell disease? Pharmacogenomics. 2017 Mar;18(4):321-325. doi: 10.2217/pgs-2016-0007.
- Pule GD, Mnica K, Joubert M, Mowla S, Novitsky N, Wonkam A. Burden, genotype and phenotype profiles of adult patients with sickle cell disease in Cape Town, South Africa. S Afr Med J. 2017 Jan 30;107(2):149-155.
- Geard A, Pule GD, Chelo D, Bitoungui VJ, Wonkam A. Genetics of Sickle Cell-Associated Cardiovascular Disease: An Expert Review with Lessons Learned in Africa.OMICS. 2016 Oct;20(10):581-592.
- Mnika K, Pule GD, Dandara C, Wonkam A. An Expert Review of Pharmacogenomics of Sickle Cell Disease Therapeutics: Not Yet Ready for Global Precision Medicine.OMICS. 2016 Oct;20(10):565-574.
- Pule GD, Mowla S, Novitzky N, Wonkam A. Hydroxyurea down-regulates BCL11A, KLF-1 and MYB through miRNA-mediated actions to induce γ-globin expression: implications for new therapeutic approaches of sickle cell disease. Clin Transl Med. 2016 Mar;5(1):15.
- Pule GD, Ngo Bitoungui VJ, Chetcha Chemegni B, Kengne AP, Antonarakis S, Wonkam A. Association between Variants at BCL11A Erythroid-Specific Enhancer and Fetal Hemoglobin Levels among Sickle Cell Disease Patients in Cameroon: Implications for Future Therapeutic Interventions. OMICS. 2015 Oct;19(10):627-31.
- Pule GD, Mowla S, Novitzky N, Wiysonge CS, Wonkam A. A systematic review of known mechanisms of hydroxyurea-induced fetal hemoglobin for treatment of sicklecell disease. Expert Rev Hematol. 2015 Oct;8(5):669-79.
- Wonkam A, Ngo Bitoungui VJ, Ngogang J. Perspectives in Genetics and Sickle Cell Disease Prevention in Africa: Beyond the Preliminary Data from Cameroon. Public Health Genomics. 2015;18(4):237-41.
- Bitoungui VJ, Pule GD, Hanchard N, Ngogang J, Wonkam A. Beta-globin gene haplotypes among cameroonians and review of the global distribution: is there a case for a single sickle mutation origin in Africa? OMICS. 2015 Mar;19(3):171-9.
- Pule G, Wonkam A. Treatment for sickle cell disease in Africa: should we invest in haematopoietic stem cell transplantation? Pan Afr Med J. 2014 May 13;18:46.
- Rumaney MB, Ngo Bitoungui VJ, Vorster AA, Ramesar R, Kengne AP, Ngogang J, Wonkam A. The co-inheritance of alpha-thalassemia and sickle cell anemia is associated with better hematological indices and lower consultations rate in Cameroonian patients and could improve their survival. PLoS One. 2014 Jun 30;9(6):e100516.
- Wonkam A, Ngo Bitoungui VJ, Vorster AA, Ramesar R, Cooper RS, Tayo B, Lettre G, Ngogang J. Association of variants at BCL11A and HBS1L-MYB with hemoglobin F and hospitalization rates among sickle cell patients in Cameroon. PLoS One. 2014 Mar 25;9(3):e92506.
- Wonkam A, Rumaney MB, Ngo Bitoungui VJ, Vorster AA, Ramesar R, Ngogang J. Coinheritance of sickle cell anemia and α-thalassemia delays disease onset and could improve survival in Cameroonian's patients (Sub-Saharan Africa). Am J Hematol. 2014 Jun;89(6):664-5.
- Wonkam A, Mba CZ, Mbanya D, Ngogang J, Ramesar R, Angwafo FF 3rd. Psychosocial stressors of sickle cell disease on adult patients in Cameroon. J Genet Couns. 2014 Dec;23(6):948-56
- Wonkam A, de Vries J, Royal CD, Ramesar R, Angwafo FF 3rd. Would you terminate a pregnancy affected by sickle cell disease? Analysis of views of patients in Cameroon. J Med Ethics. 2014 Sep;40(9):615-20.
- Wonkam A, Ngongang Tekendo C, Zambo H, Morris MA. Initiation of prenatal genetic diagnosis of sickle cell anaemia in Cameroon (sub-Saharan Africa). Prenat Diagn. 2011 Dec;31(12):1210-2.